Church Conference: October 2012
Church Charge Conference, October 7, 2012
District Superintendent Rev. Kibum Kim-presiding
Those in attendance:
Pastor Stacy & Dorothy Ellsworth
Bunk & Dianna G.
Larry & Shirley E.
Rick & Cathryn E.
Dennis & Cindy A.
Meeting opened with prayer by Rev. Kim
- Video message from Bishop Scott Jones
- Great Plains Conference begins January 1, 2014
- August 22-24, 2013 Uniting Conference
- Better Appointment matches for Churches and Clergy
- Sharing of good ministry ideas with other Churches
- Pooling resources to support congregations
- Conference Kansas East, Kansas West and Nebraska
- Rev. Kim’s Devotion
- Why do you believe God put us here?
- What is our purpose?
- Why is our Church here?
- What’s the meaning of being a United Methodist Christian?
- What makes us different?
- These questions were posed by Rev. Kim-he assured us that only we could answer.
- Matthew 22:21-29
- “Lord, Lord . . .”
- Rev Kim explained that it would be his nightmare to stand before Jesus and have Him say “I know you not!”
- When it comes to faith, we need to talk the talk and walk the walk. Too many people talk about the Gospel, hear the Gospel, but to do.
- This is our mission
- Love the Lord your God . . .
- Love your neighbor . . .
- Go ye into all the world . . .
- Worship God
- Practice mercy to our neighbors
- Make disciples of those
- Mary Scranton a missionary and her son who was an MD and also a missionary went to Korea in the late 1800’s. She started a church especially for girls in Korea. It was supported by United Methodist Women groups. It is today Women’s University.
- “Connection” – support by United States Methodists has ultimately led to the formation of large educational institutes in Korea.
- Video – “Imagine No Malaria”
- Villages in Africa with no mosquito nets, no prevention, no medication
- One of the foundations who contributes is Bill and Melina Gates.
- Our mission starts here in our church and stretches out to the community, the region, the state, the country and the world!
- We reach out – it is what we are called to do as Methodists.
- Minutes from 2011 Charge Conference were approved
- Highlights from last year
- Vacation Bible School- 25 children
- Mitten tree at Christmas
- Bishop’s Round-Up for Hunger
- Hosted two Mission Teams
- Raised Money for Joplin
- Nominating Committee report approved
- All slots filled with exception of Lay Person to Annual Conferernce (Rev. Kim urged us to find a person to fill this commitment- it will become extremely important with the combing of the conferences.
- Motion made by Nellie Hoskins, seconded by Cathryn E. to approve Sheryll V.’s Lay Speaker Report. Approved.
- Pastor Support/Compensation- Approved
- Apportionments (we are about 2/3 the way to have paid 100%)
- Part of our apportionments go to fund General Conference
- Some go to fund Missionaries
- Membership report- No change
- Pastor’s Report
- Average attendance is up 24 to 27
- Average giving $30.56 per person per week
- We need a long-term goal/plan
- How can we grow?
- What are we going to do to bring God to our community?
- Challenge- how will we survive in the long run?
- Rev. Kim
- Great church, great building, wonderful musicians, good preacher (and better spouse!) We need to do a better job selling ourselves and our church.
“Jesus Jar” collection was taken up for scholarship funds.
- Meeting closed with prayer by Rev. Kim
October 7, 2012